Natural Kids ‘Vapor rub’ recipe for the change in seasons.
As we come out of Winter, we are sure that a lot of you would have experienced some type of lurgi, sniffle, cough, congestion etc.
We know it’s not fun, and night time is the worst, as laying supine (flat) makes it even harder to breathe!
As a parent it’s even worse, as you feel helpless to support your child who is in distress (plus they are keeping the whole house awake!)
One very common product that many of us know about and have probably used is ‘Vapor Rub’.
Unfortunately commercial vapor rubs are typically petroleum based and add camphor which has been synthetically derived from the oil of turpentine and menthol…yes what you buy at the hardware store!
Many compounds found in oil (petroleum) are highly toxic and can cause cancer (carcinogenic) as well as other diseases.
It is very easy to make your own vapor rub at home using natural essential oils that contain complex compounds that not only help you child feel better, they also assist the body to heal itself.
Essential Oils for Coughs and Chest Congestion
- Peppermint essential oil is antibacterial, analgesic (it soothes pain) and anti-inflammatory. It’s also cooling and refreshing thanks to its menthol content.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is antimicrobial and a great expectorant, making it a good oil to use for respiratory issues.
- Lavender essential oil is very soothing and can help promote peaceful sleep (something that’s a bit difficult with chest congestion).
- Lemon essential oil is a great oil for slowing wheezing, colds, cough, and other upper respiratory problems.
- Tea tree essential oil is antimicrobial, making it a good addition to this rub if the chest congestion is the caused by some sort of pathogen.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 4 tablespoons shea butter or cacao butter, unscented (melted)
- 3 drops Eucalyptus Oil
- 3 drops Peppermint Oil
- 2 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 2 drops of Lavender Oil
- 2 drops of Lemon Oil
You will need a:
- Clean glass jar with tight fitting lid
- In a double boiler, Thermomix or in the oven – gently melt coconut oil and butter. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the essential oils. Pour into a clean container with tight-fitting lid. Allow to solidify and cool completely before using.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to six months. To use rub a small amount between the palms to soften and apply to the chest and/or feet as needed.
Simply apply a small amount to the chest during a cold or when you have a cough. Apply every couple of hours or as needed.
If you rub it into your hands, you can also cup your hands over your nose and inhale deeply a few times.
Because the oils are diluted in the carrier oils, they are generally safe to use with most children over 3 years of age, however we do recommend you speak with your health provider if you have any concerns.
Even though essential oils are natural, they must still be used with caution. Why? Because they are so concentrated and powerful. That’s also why it’s so important to use 100% pure therapeutic grade oils.
If you are pregnant or nursing, check with your holistic healthcare provider before using essential oils.
There you have it! How to treat a cold naturally with our natural, easy alternative to commercial toxic vapor rubs. Please let us know how you went and shoot us an email if you have any questions.
And as always, if you feel like a loved one would benefit from this vapor rub recipe, please make sure you share it with them.
Until next time…
Yours in great health,
Dr Andy & Dr Jacinta