If you’re a parent, you no doubt would’ve experienced a restless child at night.
From birth until…well does it ever stop?
This is a no win situation for the whole family.
Your child is tired…
And your infant may be experiencing colic, reflux, feeding problems and in the older child anxiety, concentration and digestive issues.
The list goes on…
So what can you do to soothe your child so they can enjoy a calm and restful sleep?
We are sharing with you a simple massage technique that we teach our clients everyday to help their children’s body and nervous system to unwind…so Learn a simple technique that can help any restless child to relax, unwind and rest. With this post, we show hare everyone in the family can get some sleep!
Autonomic Nervous System 101
Your autonomic nervous system (ANS) controls all of your automatic functions in your body, such as digestion, detoxification, reproduction, liver, heart, kidneys, lungs etc.
The ANS is simply split into 2 categories, the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic.
Sympathetic nervous system (SNS): Your fright and flight stress response running away from the tiger
Parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS): Your calm, relaxation, digesting, healing state.
When the SNS takes the lead for too long, you feel anxious, tired, on edge, and irritable, therefore you don’t sleep as well. (Does this sound like your baby?)
The PSNS, however, brings a sense of calm and peace to the mind and body.
When the parasympathetic nervous system takes over, your heart rate slows, muscles relax, and circulation improves. And your body produces endorphins, which are the “happy” hormones that make you feel amazing.
Deep pressure massage is one of the best ways to quickly and effectively activate the PSNS. Not only will it bring a sense of wellbeing to your child, it’s a fantastic bonding experience for you and your babe.
So let’s get started!
Child’s Massage Technique for Calming, Soothing Sleep
- It’s best to do the massage in a quiet and dark space, ideally before bed and after a bath. Have your child all ready to fall asleep, because they may!
- You can start with them on their tummy or back. Gently, however firmly, squeeze their feet and slowly make your way up to the top of their leg. Releasing and squeezing as you move. Do both sides.
- Then start with the hands and move up the arms to their torso. Do both sides.
- Run your fingers firmly over their torso crossing over diagonally at their midline.
- If your child is still awake, then turn them over to repeat steps 2-4 on their other side.
Potential Benefits of Deep Pressure Massage include:
- General sense of calm that can last up to a few hours after therapy
- Decreased overall anxiety when practiced regularly
- Increased happiness
- Improved social interactions
- Increased communicativeness
- Better sleep
- Improved focus
- Lowered hypersensitivity to touch
- Improved ability to tolerate the school environment
- Improved digestion
Give this easy massage a go at home on your babe and remember to share it with your friends who are struggling with sleep time too!
Now remember…by healing yourself, you inspire your tribe and transform your world.
Yours in great health,